[lbo-talk] Alito & disability

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Jan 14 16:56:39 PST 2006

Marta Russell wrote:

> Wasn't Kennedy the one who wrote the decision giving the 2000
> election to Bush? He seems planted firmly on the right to me. Doug
> is right, and the spineless Dems are going to let it happen.

Marta, they are NOT spineless, nor are they stupid. They (the DP leadership as a whole) are pursuing a policy that they believe in. Part of that policy, perhaps its very core, is that the opposition between the two parties must be a non-antagonistic contradiction; pursuing that contradiction must never disrupt or present a challenge to the normal operations of U.S. Society. And essential to those operations is the principle that the Supreme Court is "above politics," that one can object to the personal honesty or legal competence of a nominee, but that one cannot, except marginally, oppose a nomination on "ideological" grounds.

Good Cop/Bad Cop. A Broadway Musical performed for the delectation of the populace, and we (those who make up the human material from which an actual left might emerge) help to legitimize that performance by becoming theatre reviewers of its quality.

Carrol