[lbo-talk] Alito & disability

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Sat Jan 14 22:12:46 PST 2006

On Jan 14, 2006, at 7:57 PM, Bitch | Lab wrote:

> At 10:28
>
> What groups with whom we as lefties identify are going that way --
> using the courts--as a way to achieve social change? REally, I thnk
> it's just NN imaginging that all the world is a bunch of attorneys
> like him. And using it as a trope to hammer on something else. What
> that is, I'm unclear. I have my uncharitable suspicions though.

When the ADA was passed the Disability Rights Defense Fund and several other groups organized to try to see that challenges to the Act were precedent setting in a way that progressed disabled people's civil rights. The Supreme Court has done much to destroy the potential of the ADA. I'm not going into that history here only to say that a social movement often culminates in changing law, then must rely on the other institutions to follow through with it. In the US that is usually the courts.

Marta