[lbo-talk] Woody Allen's latest stupid movie

John Lacny jlacny at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 16 16:34:55 PST 2006

> how and when has he lampooned Zionists? I missed this.

It was a recent one, I think Deconstructing Harry, where he has a fanatical right-wing Orthodox brother-in-law. Old-fashioned, UJA-style Zionists also make appearances in some of his other films, though those are loving portraits, since that kind of person was part of the landscape when he was growing up; then, they must have seemed innocent and harmless (when they didn't have a nation-state, of course).

> wasn't it Mark Twain who said "Wagner's music is better
> than it sounds"?

I don't know; it's also been attributed to Oscar Wilde. It's probably apocryphal on both counts. It's intended as a philistine quip, but I actually think it's true: as sound it's pretty remarkable, but the multiple modulations and development of the leitmotifs (particularly in the "Ring") are ingenious in addition to being beautiful music, and in conjunction with the mythology they also have a visceral emotional effect that is difficult to describe.