[lbo-talk] The US Power Elite: Undawnted

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jan 17 08:44:58 PST 2006

Jim Devine wrote:

>also, there's a good correlation (I'd bet) between the price of
>gasoline and the number of references to "Hubbert's Peak" on lbo-talk,
>pen-l, etc.

You bet. I haven't quantified it, but I'm sure it's there. It'd be interesting to run the numbers on Nexis hits.

>BTW, T-Bone Pickens seems to believe in Peak oil (see
>http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5159144)

Ah, Boone. A failed oilman, he turned takeover artist, and then disappeared. Funny to see him back now. He must resurface whenever oil goes over $50.

I'm amazed by the number of lefties who get excited when oilmen endorse peak oil. They love the idea of peak oil - for them it means higher prices, looser regulations, and tax breaks. In that lovely Wall Street phrase, they're talking their book.

Doug