[lbo-talk] argumentative Indian

parthasarathy kalalesrinivasaranga kalalepsarathy at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 14:28:05 PST 2006

Main theme of the book is the robust nature of the Indian democracy. The freedom of speech etc is mediated here by the traditional argumrntative nature of the Indian tradition. It is not possible to impose a dictator ship here.. even of the type of Bush and neoconn variety. . Any traditional scholor in India would not find the Arugumentative method here as something new. That is what Sen says as much if I am correct. What his book does is urges the people India to rediscover their tradition which is very relevant for the success of all inclusive democracy. Well, we here are satisfied with the direction in which our democracy is moving even if it may not meet all the standards set by Bush or that not so bright Al Bright

Is Arugumentative method unique to India ? I do not think sdo. Any robust society would have it in abundance. The issue is ruling class in some places ignore that daringly and in some it is impossible for the elite to ignore it. In US though it appears to me the Arguments do take place, the ruling class is able to ignore it with impunity in the current situation.

-- kalalepsarathy , Bangalore, India -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20060118/b0249e70/attachment.htm>