[lbo-talk] Re: MySpace (was Re: let there be wi-fi)

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 18 10:59:08 PST 2006

My girlfriend is one of the early adopters of MySpace; her profile would always be at the top of folks' "Friends" list back when friends were ranked according to length of time with the site.

And you're right, MySpace has been a godsend for underground DIY hardcore/punk bands, so much so that recent issues of Maximum Rock 'n Roll have joked about the mass migration of the punk community from the rest of the web and onto MySpace (with some backlash about the Rupert Murdoch ownership, etc.). It's a free way for a band to have a webpage that incorporates audio, artwork, show updates, etc. and the biggest of rock stars' pages are as big and flashy as the meekest of garage bands. The comments, etc., invite fans to interact in a way webpage guestbooks rarely did.

-B.

Chuck0 wrote:

"I know that thanks to Myspace I've gotten to know a few more bands and have been prompted to go to more shows. Services like Myspace will only continue the undermining of the music industry."