[lbo-talk] Unproductive Workers = The Best Organized in the USA

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Thu Jan 19 01:16:24 PST 2006

Nathan Newman wrote:
>I don't buy it-- business loves large chunks of the public sector-- roads,
>universities, and of course the defense sector.

-Have you looked at the funding of public universities lately? -Diminishing shares come from public funds, and they're under constant -pressure to commercialize. -I suppose you're trying to argue that it's in capital's interest to -have a vigorous public sector, but if that were true, why are our -politics so anti-public-sector?

RHETORIC may be anti-public sector, but the Congress just passed the largest highway bill in history and has been expanding defense spending at a rapid clip. And while the rightwing may want to ensure enough privatization to allow corporate dominance of decision-making in universities, there is still a large stake by corporations in promoting a strong university sector for both supplying their workforce and broad research.

-- Nathan