[lbo-talk] re: myspace

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 19 08:00:02 PST 2006

It's only practicing law without a license if it involves the application of legal principles to a concrete set of facts. Anyone can teach you the elements of conspiracy or answer a hypothetical question. But you have to be a licensed attorney to answer the question, is this thing that my friends and I were actually thinking about doing illegal?

I have long thought that it would be really great if they taught the bare bones element of contract and consumer protection law in HS.

The basic elements of criminal law would be good but it's unlikely that the school board would approach my defense attorney's take on this.

Yesterday I had to explain to a friend who needed minor legal advice that you do not have to talk to the cops except to give your name (unless that would be incriminatory), and if involved in a situation where you might be held liable even in (say) a traffic accident you should not do so, you should say, I want to talk to my lawyer first. If you say that they cannot ask any more questions until your lawyer is present, and if they do, the answers are probably not admissible.

But you'd think after decades of cop TV shows and the Miranda warnings that everyone knows you'd think everyone would know you have a right to remain silent, that anything you say can and will be be used against you ina court of law, that you have a right to an attorney, and if cannot afford an attorney one will be provided for you. And you don't have to be under arrest for all this to apply. Especially the right to remain silent. Even professional crooks regularly blow this by trying to talk their way out of situations, thus producing contradictions leading to confessions. The real pros, the Outfit boys, just clam up.

The school board might approve teaching about conspiracy and accomplice liability and felony murder and the no-gun laws for felons the abolition of parole, however.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/256173_monroe19.html