[lbo-talk] Belafonte, MLK, Bush and Katrina

peacenow at theofficenet.com peacenow at theofficenet.com
Thu Jan 19 19:18:02 PST 2006

All i want to know is what will white skinned privileged lefties do to make it right? What?

In peaceful struggle, swaneagle

   Durham, N.C. -- Entertainer and human-rights activist Harry Belafonte spoke for an hour and a half at Duke Chapel Sunday, telling anecdotes about his friendship with Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., recounting his rise from poverty to worldwide success as a singer and urging the crowd to pursue King’s dream by helping those in prison, victims of Hurricane Katrina and others in need.

   "Dr. King lives. His spirit lives," Belafonte said to the standing-room-only crowd. Belafonte was the keynote speaker in Duke’s three-day celebration of the King holiday, which continues today (Monday) with a series of "Freedom School" discussions on contemporary social issues and a staged reading of the play "Speak Truth to Power: Voices from Beyond the Dark," written by Duke literature professor Ariel Dorfman. It began Friday with a talk by film director Charles Stone III. Belafonte also addressed the recent controversy over his recent trip to Venezuela, during which he criticized President Bush. "I go where things are happening and see for myself," he said. "Such an experience recently has unfolded a new set of problems." He said he went to Venezuela after President Hugo Chavez’s offer of help after Hurricane Katrina was rebuffed by the Bush administration. "Our people called out in their pain and suffering and fear and our government did not respond," Belafonte said. "When the Venezuelan government stepped into this hollow moment...our president arrogantly dismissed it." He was harsh in his criticism of President Bush, saying, "Killing is our easiest tool. When you look at the president who has led us into a dishonorable war that has caused the deaths of tens of thousands of people, many our own sons and daughters, I ask myself what Dr. King would have asked... "It is an act that has driven fear and terror into the hearts of the American people. What is the essential difference in quality of our humanity for those who would do the cruel and tragic deed of flying an airplane into a building and killing 3,000 innocent Americans and those who would lie and lead the nation into a war that has killed hundreds of thousands? "Excuse me, fellow citizens, if the line for me becomes a little blurred." "I say to myself, ‘What would Dr. King say at a time like this?’"

 << America in Distress