US schools compared to E. Europe (was Re: [lbo-talk] life in Germany)

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 20 10:01:13 PST 2006

> On 1/20/06, Wojtek Sokolowski <sokol at jhu.edu> wrote:
>
> > To put it bluntly, the problem is not
> > with schools but with the stupid ignorant people
> who attend them, or rather
> > their parents, and treat them as a scapegoat for
> all that is wrong in their
> > wretched, miserable lives.

First of all, it seems that most public universities in the US are pretty good. You can go there and get a good education if you want it. I went to university in Europe after having done my undergraduate work in the US. I did not feel "behind" in relation to my fellow students there.

The problem is with the American High School. But here is a question for Europeans. What is the class make-up of those going into the Lycee, Liceo, Gymnasium or other roughly equivalent institutions?

Also I dont believe that the US High School has always been this inferior. For those of you in-the-know, what was the turning point?

-Thomas