[lbo-talk] post-doctorate?

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sun Jan 22 18:21:38 PST 2006

>On 1/22/06, Marta Russell <ap888 at lafn.org> wrote:
>

>>I thought when one gets a PhD that they are qualified to be a
>>professor and get a decent salary? What is going on here?

Decent salary???? Ha! In 1987 I got a tenure track job as an assist prof in English. Pay was 25K. They offered 24K and I held out for 25. University of Virginia, that same year, was offering 20K. (At the time I was making 45K as a tech writer. So when I went to teach I took about a 50% pay cut.)

Academia is parallelling the corporate world. A few stars get 100K - 200K; some administrators get high salaries, and everyone else gets shit.

I assume the point of a post doc is to get some kind of employment despite the fact that no jobs are available.

Joanna