[lbo-talk] post-doctorate?

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Sun Jan 22 19:18:36 PST 2006

joanna wrote:

> Academia is parallelling the corporate world. A few stars get 100K -
> 200K; some administrators get high salaries, and everyone else gets shit.

I'm happy to report that this phenomenon has not leaked into the community college world. There's typically only a range of $20,000 or so between the highest and lowest paid tenured positions, and the same salary schedule applies to everyone, whether they're teaching philosophy, computer science, or nursing. I've been faculty union prez at my college for a couple years now, and that has come up in bargaining: "we need to pay more in the high demand fields (sotto voce--screw the humanities profs, we need attract more nurses!)". Frankly, I won't budge on that: the "star system" undermines worker solidarity and does little or nothing to enhance learning for the students. --Next step: eliminate the egregious pay gap between part-time and tenured faculty teaching the same courses--

Miles