[lbo-talk] communist witches were not spectral

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 23 12:46:54 PST 2006

No go, Charles. Your explanation is, as my daughter would say, random. The question is, why was there a big witch craze, specifically a sudden jump, in Europe in the period of roughly 1550-1670 -- that is what is being discussed. Your analogy actually makes the point: the jump in lynchings in 1866-1930 has an obvious materialist explanation.

Also, unlike the general structural background factor with lynchings of maintaining white domination, the link to male suprematicist ideology is way too loose with the witch craze. Lynchings were _admittedly_ intended to keep African Americans "in their place." And the civil war and recomstruction had put absolute white supremacy in question.

Absolute male supremacy was not contested by anything so dramatic (or indeed I think contested at all) in Europe in the period in question, so there was no threat to quash. And no one as far as I know admitted that witch burnings were intended to keep women down, that's not essential, but you need some more stuff in the middle than: predominantly male persecutors and predominantly female victims. Otherwise all you have is a hand wave towards an explanation, not an explanation per se. The two points mentioned may be linked: it may be that women _happened_ to be predominantly the victims because they were powerless, rather than because they were women, even though they were powerless because they were women.