[lbo-talk] Spinoza v. Locke

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Tue Jan 24 11:37:57 PST 2006

When an ambitious Middle School teacher presented me with a beautifully bound, early 20th century translation of "On the Improvement of the Understanding" (even in English, what a lovely, clear and crisp phrase) I was hooked from the title which made serious promises the text kept. .d.

------

I'll try to say something tomorrow night about how reading Spinoza has started to grow on me a little. I sure wish I had found him rather than Aquinas as a first hit on philosophy and religion. But what the hell did I know at sixteen. Aquinas started with `A' and was in the first row of books in the philosophy section in the public library.

I blew off this evening on the other post, and now I have to hit the sack.

CG