[lbo-talk] Russian public opinion today

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 24 08:56:14 PST 2006

I translate the results of the latest VTsIOM poll as reported in this week's issue of Itogi. The actual results go back organized by month to January of last year, but I'm just going to do December. (Note the ratings of the West's fevorite political parties!) (I have my doubts as to the accuracy of the last set of stats.)

Do you in general approve or disapprove of the activity of Vladimir Putin in the position of President of Russia?

Approve 76% Disapprove 16% Hard to answer 8%

Do you in general approve or disapprove of the activity of the government of Russia?

Approve 38% Disapprove 46% Hard to answer 16%

For which of the following parties would you likely vote for for the State Duma, if elections were to be held next Sunday?

United Russia (CD -- Putin's party, basically) 40% Communist Party of the Russia Federation 8% Rodina (People's Patriotic Union) 3% LDPR (CD -- Zhirinovsky's Party) 7% Union of Right Forces (CD -- "Pro-Western" party) 1% Yabloko (CD -- "Pro-Western" party) 1% Agrarian Party of Russia 2% Other 9% Against All 11% I would not participate in the elections 10% Hard to answer 15%

In what group of the population would you incline to say you located?

We barely make ends meet. There is no money 13% even for groceries

There is enough money for groceries, but buying 36% clothes poses financial problems

There is enough money for groceries and clothes,38% but items of long use (a television, refrigerator) poses financial problems

We can buy items of long use. However it is 11% difficult for use to obtain truly expensive things

We can allow ourselves rather expensive items-- 2% an apartment, dacha, etc.

Nu, zayats, pogodi!