[lbo-talk] Canada lurches to the right

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Tue Jan 24 05:59:18 PST 2006

The AP writer below is stretching for an interesting lead when she writes that the election is "expected to move Canada rightward on social and economic issues..." Not likely. It was more a matter of the Liberal party - in power for 13 years and mired in scandal for the past two of them - dropping like a piece of rotten fruit, rather than the country "lurching to the right." Exit polls showed many voters conceding they normally identified with the party but wanting to punish it. Even so, the Liberals were consoled by the results, holding onto more than 100 seats in Canada's 300 plus seat Parliament, making them by far the largest of the opposition parties. Everyone thought they'd be whacked much harder, some even predicting they'd fall to third place in the party standings. Outgoing PM Paul Martin announced his intention to step down as party leader. Michael Ignatieff, who apparently has larger ambitions in the Liberal party, won his initial bid for a seat in Toronto.

NDP'ers were also in a pretty good mood; they improved to 29 seats, gaining in Ontario and British Columbia. The party held onto Ottawa Centre in a tight race. Party leader Jack Layton's wife, Olivia Chow, a well-known Toronto political figure in her own right, was also elected. The NDP effectively doesn't exist in Quebec; its constituency there is mostly sovereignist.

The election fell well short of the expectations of the Conservatives and the Bloc Quebecois.

The Conservatives only won 36% of the popular vote (the Liberals won 30% and the NDP 18%) and will form one of the most fragile minority governments in Canadian history. They did well only in the rural areas. Amazingly, they still don't have a single seat in Canada's three largest cities: Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver, and only a very thin scattering of seats in all of the other major urban areas outside their Alberta base. They gained in the Ontario countryside and suburbs and unexpectedly picked up some seats in Quebec, including one in Quebec City. Their results were disappointing in Nova Scotia and the other Eastern provinces.

The BQ, the federalist extension of the sovereignist Parti Quebecois, won two-thirds of Quebec's seats, but they were hoping to do even better to give momentum to the push for sovereignty. Instead, they dropped four seats. Federalists inside Quebec and across Canada are buoyed by the result, but, when it comes to Quebec, they are always looking for the smallest straws in the wind to persuade themselves that the country won't fall apart.

The new Prime Minister, Stephen Harper, will be held hostage on social and foreign policy by the three urban-based "liberal" parties, who have more than 180 seats between them to the Conservatives 124. It's difficult to see how he will placate the demands of his base who are calling, among other things, for repeal of Canada's same-sex marriage laws. ------------------------------------ ----- Original Message ----- From: "B." <docile_body at yahoo.com> To: "LBO Talk" <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 6:02 AM Subject: [lbo-talk] Canada lurches to the right