[lbo-talk] re: post-doctorate

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 24 14:33:20 PST 2006

I'm younger than the poor bastard working on his Ph.D. in Neuroscience at UCLA, but it still strikes me as odd that he's seen as a kind of failure because he's 32 and, I assume, does have a graduate degree, and is at UCLA working on a Ph.D. -- but hasn't gotten it *yet*. Coming from a family that has no college degrees, let alone a family that has anyone with a graduate degree or attendance at a place like UCLA -- well, it strikes me as absurd that now there's a hypothesis afoot that he must have some mental disorder to account for his, uh, slowness. Man!

Staying away from Marta's daughter,

-B.

Jim Devine wrote:

"Also, is it possible that he has Asperger's syndrome (mild autism)which is characterized by poor social skills, by poor ability to plan one's life, and by poor common sense, but by professorial pretensions?"

Marta wrote:

"He is not scum....he is just a procrastinator and unorganized man who may not have the get up and go to make things happen in his life."