[lbo-talk] re: post-doctorate

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 14:56:44 PST 2006

On 1/24/06, B. wrote:
> ... it strikes me as absurd that now there's a
> hypothesis afoot that he must have some mental
> disorder to account for his, uh, slowness. Man!

I don't think Asperger's is a "mental disorder" as much as a perceptual disorder (sort of like the need to wear glasses) or a learning disorder (specifically related to interpersonal relations). A lot of famous people may have it or may have had it (e.g., Bill Gates, Albert Einstein). I don't think of it as "bad thing," since my son has it and I have a mild version. People can learn to live with it and there is no psychomed prescribed to "cure" it. -- Jim Devine

"The price one pays for pursuing any profession or calling is an intimate knowledge of its ugly side." -- James Baldwin