[lbo-talk] Teixeira on values

Lbo-Talk Lbo-Talk at hronk.com
Thu Jan 26 22:59:23 PST 2006

Oops, might do to include my name.....

Jason McCullough

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Lbo-Talk Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2006 10:27 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: RE: [lbo-talk] Teixeira on values

To channel Frank, the entire point with this is that regardless of what the politicians actually say, do, or culturally identify, your average working class "lost Democratic voter" under discussion identifies "liberal" as "the people who admit they're liberal", or more importantly, "the people everyone tells me are liberals."

Add some intentional blurring between Democrat, liberal, crank supporters, and politicians, and you're all set. The Democrats flat-out suck at doing this for the GOP, by contrast.

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Doug Henwood Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2006 12:08 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: RE: [lbo-talk] Teixeira on values

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

>The second phenomenon is cultural elitism of a big part of the
"Democratic
>side" - which is manifested inter alia by focus on exotic experiences
>instead of mundane "bread and butter" issues and by the "noble savage"
>paternalism toward lower social strata. That is to say, much of the
>economic struggles of the "middle class" to maintain their standards
of
>living became boring and "bourgeois," - the weird and the exotic, the
>stereotypic "two wiccan lesbians wanting to marry and adopt an orphaned
>dolphin" - is now in.

Yeah, that's what Bill Clinton, Al Gore, John Kerry, and Hillary Clinton are all about.

Weren't you just railing against "abstraction" the other day? Can you offer some examples of prominent Dems who take these positions?