[lbo-talk] 57% back hit on Iran

John Lacny jlacny at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 28 07:58:10 PST 2006

Yoshie Furuhashi:

> Too many people emphasized the idea that Iraq
> had no WMD, so the war was not worth it, and
> now we got a blowback, for that idea suggests
> its opposite: a war would be worth fighting
> if Washington's enemy were actually trying to
> build WMD.

Way too much pessimism on your part. 43% opposition to a war -- before it even starts, and when the target openly possesses nuclear materials -- is plenty to work with. Opposition would drop as soon as the war started and everyone would be called upon to "support our troops," but would then skyrocket a few months into the war, shortly after the military defeat of the Iranian regime and the rise of a guerrilla resistance even more ferocious than the one in Iraq.

To be honest, I'm having a hard time believing that there will be an actual war against Iran; even the Bushites are not that stupid or crazy. Or am I just out of touch?