[lbo-talk] Harvey Hamilton, er, Mansfield on Executive Power

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Jan 28 08:16:23 PST 2006

Michael Hoover wrote:

>The Law and the President
>In a national emergency, who you gonna call?
>by Harvey Mansfield
>Weekly Standard 01/16/2006

I picked up a copy of the Weekly Standard the other day and read a bunch of it, which I hadn't done much of before. I was really struck by how different its conservatism is from the conservatism of my Party of the Right adolescence - much more unambivalently in love with state and imperial power. No trace of the libertarian skepticism or even hostility towards the concentration of state power - just a pure celebration of executive power. The second-generation neocons, Kristol and Podhoretz the younger, seem like total hacks compared to their dads.

Doug