[lbo-talk] Happy Birthday Mozart

Scissors MacGillicutty scissorsmacgillicutty at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 11:32:33 PST 2006

Agreed. Gould's take on Mozart is bizarre by most standards, but I think he reveals amazing things in the Sonatas that the standard way of playing them misses. I think the axe that Gould had to grind w/Mozart was that Mozart was a great countrapunctalist who didn't write counterpoint. Then there's the way he played the theme and variations that are the first mvmt of the A major sonata (K 331): he plays the theme at a glacial place with what (IIRC) he described as Webern-esque phrasing and then takes each variation at a faster and faster tempo so that the whole thing sounds not like variations but successive layerings atop a structure.

I'd bet that if you played any of the Gould interpretations of the Mozart sonatas in an organic bakery or boutique you'd kill the business, but you'd have a good number of people piling in just to listen.

smg