[lbo-talk] pre-school rock

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 29 11:01:08 PST 2006

When rock-ists raise kids.

I guess everyone has their own passions -- obsessions -- they want to pass onto their kids, though something about the article gave me the creeps. I remember hating a lot of the music some of my relatives -- like my mom, bless her soul -- played (and still DOES play), but other relatives, like my aunt, had better taste that I seemed gravitate to (Alice Cooper, Black Sabbath, KISS, AC/DC, Devo, early Pretenders, Bloodrock's "DOA,"etc.) . No one ever forced it on me or made me attend one hour "rock school" lessons, however. My mom would have been delighted if I'd enjoyed her Christopher Cross and Bonnie Tyler LPs, but it didn't happen -- nor did she school me in any of that, thankfully.

-B.

--

Doug Henwood wrote:

[...]

After more than a year of Music Hours, Elijah was truly ready to rock. I reviewed my collection carefully and decided on the Hives. The songs are short, loud, silly, melodic and not particularly complicated. My instinct proved instantly correct. When Howlin' Pelle Almquist opened the song with a guttural scream, Elijah recognized the sound from direct experience and howled back. He began to flap his arms and run in a circle.

"That's good, Elijah. You're rocking out!"

"Rock out! Rock out! Thunder music, Daddy! This is thunder!"

Yes! He got it! It was thunder. I bounced along with him. He looked at me and, flapping his arms madly, left the ground and launched himself at my midsection. I caught him and threw him back. He landed on his feet. Then, gently, I launched myself into him. My son and I were moshing! Awesome! "We're moshing, Elijah! Let's mosh!"