[lbo-talk] Too Old for Rap (was Lumpen)

Wojtek Sokolowski wsokol52 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 29 14:41:00 PST 2006

--- Jim Devine <jdevine03 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Individual lack of respect toward others (the first
> example) is not
> the same as state oppression (the second). Strictly
> speaking, only
> behaviors of the state or similar oganizations with
> power (such as
> corporations) are "authoritarian." OK, the Frankfurt
> School posited
> the possibility of an "authoritarian personality" or
> authoritarian
> attitudes. But an authoritarian advocates more power
> for the state or
> corporation (or whatever), not the kind of anarchic
> rudeness expressed
> by the hood in the Explorer.

Then how do you explain the fact that the criminal element that started with displaying "anarchic rudeness often ended up as "kapos" (prisoner-guards) in nazi concentration camps, or as killing squads in Yugoslavia, or bullies in the Russian army http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3756866.stm ?

I think that the violent criminal element is basically of the same nature - i.e. having the authoritarian personality as you aptly observed - which is merely manifested differently under different circumstances - if it is "just mere" anarchic rudeness, it is because the perp did not have a chance to be a kapo or a member of a death squad. But he will be if you give him a chance.

The authoritarian personality is created by parenting practices, or so Else Frenkel-Brunswick of the Frankfurt School claims - ready to be exploited by gangs, corporations, or states. This is basically the argument proposed by the Frankfurt School team, to which I tend to subscribe. However, I also admit the possibility of neurological determinants in addition to socialization.

I also understand that this is not a very popular position on the US left - which tends to portray the criminal element as folk heroes. I think it is rooted in the US anti-intellectualism and populism, the left is simply repeating this well-embedded in the American psyche cultural trope. That is why I belive that a further discussion on this and related topics can hardly be rational - it is like a discussion between a christian and an atheist about the nature of religion.

One either likes the "criminal as a folk hero" trope or one does not - which determines which side in this discussion one will take.

Wojtek