[lbo-talk] Too Old for Rap (was Lumpen)

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 15:18:21 PST 2006

me:>> Individual lack of respect toward others (the first example) is not the same as state oppression (the second). Strictly speaking, only behaviors of the state or similar oganizations with power (such as corporations) are "authoritarian." OK, the Frankfurt School posited the possibility of an "authoritarian personality" or authoritarian attitudes. But an authoritarian advocates more power for the state or corporation (or whatever), not the kind of anarchic rudeness expressed by the hood in the Explorer. <<

WS: >Then how do you explain the fact that the criminal element that started with displaying "anarchic rudeness often ended up as "kapos" (prisoner-guards) in nazi concentration camps, or as killing squads in Yugoslavia, or bullies in the Russian army... ? <

did you see what I said about the "authoritarian personality" (quoted above)? Authoritarian personalities are attracted by authoritarian organizations, rewarded by them, and groomed for the necessary jobs. Further authoritarian organizations encourage such personalities to develop.

BTW, a lot of the big Nazi enthusiasts in 1930s Germany were academic types.

>... I also understand that this is not a very popular position on the
US left - which tends to portray the criminal element as folk heroes.... <

who are you thinking of who does this? not me, I hope. -- Jim Devine

"The price one pays for pursuing any profession or calling is an intimate knowledge of its ugly side." -- James Baldwin