[lbo-talk] pre-school rock

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 29 18:50:15 PST 2006

Well, it's worth pointing out that the video I linked to, of the band Doug mentioned, New York's Cro-Mags -- is about 20 years old. I suppose there were some folks in the late 70s still complaining Chuck Berry's 1950s "Johnny B. Goode" was "too rough/aggressive"/etc. or something from 20 years previous, too -- but those folks were rightly seen as being sort of, um, well ...

In the twenty or so years since that Cro-Mags vid, hardcore and music in general have progressed quite a bit. Not all of it is great; as always, probably the majority of it really sucks. But the Cro-Mags are a classic, foundational band of the genre, sort of the Ramones of the metal/punk crossover of the late 80s. They've had, for better or worse, a global influence that's hard to overestimate.

-B.

--

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

"What turned me off was the displays of aggressive machismo - to which I admit I have a highly adverse reaction (can't really stand it.) I suspect you would react similarly if the band displayed, say, the nazi or kkk symbols."