[lbo-talk] Too Old for Rap (was Lumpen)

Mark Bennett mab at straussandasher.com
Mon Jan 30 10:30:42 PST 2006

Wojtek Sokolowski

I do not think that anyone here really suggested it - I do not want to speak for others, but the point I tried to raise was the use of cultural products as a form of assault. The fact that a hoodlum in a Ford Explorer is blasting this shit all over the neighborhood is no more an indictment of the genre than, say, a hoodluum in the SS uniform blasting the 5th all over the concentration camp is an indictment of Beethoven. In both cases music has been used instrumentally, so to speak, as an instrument of authoritarian aggression.

Well, one difference between the notional "hood" and the notional S.S. man is that the music blasting from the "hood's" Explorer may be celebrating blasting music from an Explorer, or a similar "house on wheels", as this snippet from E-40's "Big Ballin' With My Homies" explains:

Big ballin' with my homies! Big ballin' with my homies!

Me and my Click-alation, at home away from home In the Black Bentley Azura, with the faulty chip phone I'm callin up the Mossie, it's time to get bent Showcasin and collarpoppin, campaignin like the president C-notes, hundred dollar bills Playaz wit bread ridin houses on wheels Jewels sparklin glistenin gleamin flossy crystal clear Baguettes -- hangin from my fist like a chandelier Felines holler, scream, 'Oooh he got the BUMP!! Soundin like Godzilla tryin to get up out the TRUNK!!'

I doubt if the S.S. man could find a piece by Beethoven that so perfectly blends art and action.