[lbo-talk] Brian On "Brokeback Mountain" & "The Reception"

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Mon Jan 30 22:37:22 PST 2006

I could not disagree more. The only pathology Ang Lee shows in Brokeback is the pathology of a homophobic culture and its ability to destroy not one but many loves...as the families of the two lovers are also involved.

I also don't understand what exactly you mean by "gay love" and in what way this is a meaningful category, separate from love. In fact, what I liked best about Lee's movie was precisely that it was not cast as a gay love story, but as a love story.

A gay male friend, now seventy, went to see the movie three times and told me that he thought the movie was a "Romeo and Juliet" story in which it is the homophobic culture (rather than warring families) that destroys the lovers. He liked it precisely because of that.

I cannot comment on the other film you reviewed since I have not seen it.

Joanna