[lbo-talk] Brian On "Brokeback Mountain" & "The Reception"

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 31 09:29:52 PST 2006

--- Brian Charles Dauth <magcomm at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> Here is my article on Ang Lee's BM.

http://www.november3rdclub.com/01-06/nonfiction/queer_romance.htm

You didn't really explain why you thought "Brokeback" was such a bad movie. I have not seen "The Reception" so I cannot make a comparison.

<< Ignoring for now the question of how one makes a film “that happens to have at its core a gay love story>>

Yes, the above is very clear to me. There are universal themes in "Brokeback Mountain" that everybody can identify, i.e. an impossible love, love to which one person commits entirely while the other does not, etc.