[lbo-talk] Brian On "Brokeback Mountain" & "The Reception"

Joel Wendland joelrw at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 31 08:07:14 PST 2006

Yoshie wrote:

>But the world of Brokeback Mountain is apparently hermetically sealed and
>insulated from all the momentous social changes -- especially concerning
>gender and sexuality -- that happened in those decades.
>
>To make a plot like this movie's credible, you would have to begin it in
>the mid-1940s and end it before the mid-1960s.
>
>In Ang Lee's universe, it's as if the sixties and seventies' sexual
>uprisings either didn't happen

I disagree with the conclusion here. I agree with the observation that the events were isolated, but that is part of the film's irony and tragedy: imagine all of that space and being completely alone, cut off from any LGBT community, so full of self-loathing you can't even link your personal feelings and actions to some movement somewhere that wants to help you liberate yourself. So profoundly sad and emblematic.

Joel

_________________________________________________________________ Don’t just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search! http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/