[lbo-talk] Brian On "Brokeback Mountain" & "The Reception"

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 08:09:21 PST 2006

Yoshie: > And It's one thing for Ennis and Jack -- born provincial -- to be in the closet in 1964; it's another thing for them to be stubbornly stuck in it in 1984! Ennis' refusal to leave Riverton, Wyoming and have a new life with Jack in New York, San Francisco, or whatever .... <

me: I think the point is that the "redneck" West wasn't just Ennis' social environment. It was also inside his mind. I don't think he reconciled himself with being gay (or bisexual?). Not even to the extent that Jack did.

in addition, I think that for Ennis, and to a smaller extent for Jack, his "gayness" was specific to one other man rather than being generalized (though maybe he should have generalized) and also specific to one place (the mountain). JD