[lbo-talk] Amanpour: Iraq war a "disaster"

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Jan 31 09:55:08 PST 2006

Doug Henwood wrote:

> [media pundits are likening this to the moment when Walter Cronkite
> turned against the Vietnam War, which helped turn public opinion
> against it - Bob & Doug are the ABC News anchor & technician wounded
> by a bomb the other day]

Please note the number of media pundits and other who are predicting that regardless of what happens in Iraq the U.S. will not give up its military bases there. To eliminate those bases we will need a worldwide mass campaign of considerably greater magnitude than we ever achieved in the '60s. We might be able to defeat the DP incumbent in 2112 on the basis of his/her failure to close the bases; how much difference that will make I do not know, and by 2116 I figure to be gone.

Carrol