[lbo-talk] Amanpour: Iraq war a "disaster"

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Jan 31 13:45:07 PST 2006

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Carrol Cox wrote:
>

> I don't remember, but were there a bunch of cranky old fucks in the
> early 1970s who said the US would never withdraw from Vietnam?

Probably -- but not among those who thought the U.S. _should_ withdraw; only among the diehard supporters of the war. As many have pointed out from the beginning, the resemblances between Iraq & Vietnam are more superfical than are the differences. The importance of at least seriously considering the possibility that "We'll let go of New Jersey before we let go of Iraq" (Ellsberg) is in strategic thinking within the anti-war movement. Recent increase in committed active members of BNCPJ here is partly based on Jan's & my insistence that we "have time" -- i.e. that we can build slow and for the long haul because the war is not going away right very soon! We have to assume, of course, that it _will_ go away, eventually, but acting on the basis of expecting very quick results only leads to despair and burnout.

Carrol