[lbo-talk] Open Letter to Monthly Review Editors

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 8 09:33:18 PDT 2006

On 7/8/06, Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> AFAIK the Iranians were deported because the Kremlin
> didn't want possible "fifth columnists" on the border
> with Iran. (Elsewhere Koreans were deported from other
> places for roughly the same reason, I think, and at
> about the same time.) Germans (not just in the
> Caucasus, but ALL Germans in the USSR) were deported
> shortly after the invasion of the USSR by Hitler for
> similar reasons. Most of the other deportations
> occured because significant portions of the population
> had sided with the Nazis. (What percentage? Nobody
> knows.)

whatever the excuse, Stalin's deportations had their precedents in the post-WW1 era. -- Jim Devine / "It was the mystical dogma of Bentham and Adam Smith and the rest, that some of the worst of human passions would turn out to be all for the best. It was the mysterious doctrine that selfishness would do the work of unselfishness." -- G. K.Chesterton.