[lbo-talk] Open Letter to Monthly Review Editors

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 8 08:23:29 PDT 2006

AFAIK the Iranians were deported because the Kremlin didn't want possible "fifth columnists" on the border with Iran. (Elsewhere Koreans were deported from other places for roughly the same reason, I think, and at about the same time.) Germans (not just in the Caucasus, but ALL Germans in the USSR) were deported shortly after the invasion of the USSR by Hitler for similar reasons. Most of the other deportations occured because significant portions of the population had sided with the Nazis. (What percentage? Nobody knows.)

--- Jim Devine <jdevine03 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Not to apologize for Comrade Uncle Joe, but this
> seems an illogical
> extension of the principle applied after World War I
> by the winning
> powers: populations were moved so that "national
> borders" and "where a
> nationality lives" would correspond. Of course,
> Hitler's policies also
> were an extension (a different one) of that
> principle.

Lyubo, bratsy, lyubo, lyubo, bratsy, zhit!

ËÞÁÎ, ÁÐÀÒÖÛ, ËÞÁÎ, ËÞÁÎ, ÁÐÀÒÖÛ, ÆÈÒÜ!