[lbo-talk] Pvt. Taibbi

W. Kiernan wkiernan at ij.net
Tue Jul 11 18:55:16 PDT 2006

Chris Doss wrote:

> FWIW I think Taibbi's driving motive has always been

> to be at the center of attention. Now that he's at

> Rolling Stone and comfortably read by multitudes, he

> doesn't need to be shocking. So he's taking the middle road.

I didn't take that Rolling Stone article the way you and Dennis Perrin did. Where you read Taibbi describing how the soldiers in the unit in which he's embedded do awful yet pointless things with blind young red-white-n-blue enthusiasm you see him glorifying their actions, where I see him anatomizing their sensibilities. I don't think he'll be invited to "embed" again any time soon. And "center of attention"? Taibbi's thing hasn't been making himslf notorious but infiltrating; compare "Bush Like Me" and the subsequent lawsuit:

http://lawprofessors.typepad.com/media_law_prof_blog/files/mills_v.%20Wenner%20Media.pdf

> Lyubo, bratsy, lyubo, lyubo, bratsy, zhit!

> ËÞÁÎ, ÁÐÀÒÖÛ, ËÞÁÎ, ËÞÁÎ, ÁÐÀÒÖÛ, ÆÈÒÜ!

...eh, say what?

Yours WDK - WKiernan at ij.net