[lbo-talk] Re: anti-Americanism and anti-imperialism (was Re: Yoshie: "dialogue" takes listening on your part, too)

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 06:50:59 PDT 2006

On 7/12/06, Angelus Novus <fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I do have a problem with Carrol Cox's snotty assertion
> that the very idea that there is such a thing as
> anti-americanism is somehow absurd.

Well put me on the side of Carrol's "snotty assertion". Anti-americanism is a bugaboo-lable created by so-called "Americans", i.e. a section of the U.S. intellectual elite, to explain why people hate having the U.S. boot on their neck.

One wonders at this distance from the historical origins why some ancient Roman Senators (such as Cato the Elder) thought that Rome was surrounded by enemies intent upon destroying the Republic, and thus Rome needed to make sure that it acted "defensively" to destroy its anit-Roman enemies. If there was such a thing as "anti-Romanism" it was simply created by Roman factions to explain their own policies of murder and slaughter. Ditto "anti-Americanism".

Jerry Monaco -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20060713/2d5b67be/attachment.htm>