[lbo-talk] the state

Eric Beck rayrena at realtime.net
Thu Jul 13 14:58:08 PDT 2006

Doug Henwood wrote:

>And though I catch hell every time I say this, just what have the
>Zapatistas, with their nonstatist concept of revolution, actually
>accomplished?

I wonder what you think qualifies as an accomplishment.... It seems to me the big difference between the conceptions of revolutionary change amounts from the way things are measured, or which things are measured. For the statist, things like wage distribution, ownership, industrial progress, and democratic participation seem to be most valued. The Zapatistas want to create a space in which none of these standard measurments are applicable. To my mind, this space they are producing is, or at least can be, much more effective at fighting off the commodity form and capital's international division of labor.