[lbo-talk] Oracle India headcount to touch 10,000 by December

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Sat Jul 15 15:12:29 PDT 2006

HindustanTimes.com http://www.hindustantimes.com/

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Oracle headcount to touch 10,000 by December http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1742296,00020020.htm

Press Trust of India

New Delhi, July 12, 2006

Enterprise software company Oracle said on Wednesday that it would grow its headcount in India by 2000 this year to 10,000.

In 2005 the company's headcount grew from 2,000 to 8,000.

"The number of employees will cross 10,000 by the end of this year," Managing Director of Oracle India operations Krishan Dhawan said. At present the company has 9,500 employees in India.

The company has invested around two billion dollars in the country in last few years and has plans to expand further.

"India along with China are the two strategic markets for Oracle. We have around 6,000 technology and 500 application customers in India including State Bank of India, Maruti, Air India and LG," Oracle Corporation Asia Pacific Division Senior Vice President Applications Mark Gibbs said. He said that in India the companys focus would be on mid-market and application space.

It is also planning its channel partners. Last year Oracle increased the number of partners by 71 to 240.

The company is also looking at greater participation in e-governance projects, and planning to invest in citizen service centres 100,000 of which will come up all over the country.

"In e-governance, the opportunities are unlimited. We are investing in it. We are looking at overall e-governance," Dhawan said.

Oracle India is already providing solutions to Calcutta Municipality and State electricity board of Gujarat and other states. The company has also set up Centre of excellence to develop and showcase solutions specific for government needs.

© HT Media Ltd. 2006.