[lbo-talk] Africa expert explains it all

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Jul 16 09:20:16 PDT 2006

[excerpt from Anderson Cooper interview with Angelina Jolie]

COOPER: And it [the "hopelessness"] seems endless. Do you -- how do you fight that? How do you...

JOLIE: Well, I think to acknowledge that and say, yes, it is another -- we understand that. But the borders were drawn in Africa not that long ago. These people are tribal people. We have -- we colonized them. We have -- there's a lot of changes that's happened, even just between the blacks and whites so recently. There's a lot we need to -- to understand and be tolerant of, and help them to -- they have just recently learned to govern themselves.