[lbo-talk] Re-intro

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 17 12:27:06 PDT 2006

--- George Scialabba <scialabb at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:

> I guess I was assuming that mass production, large
> accumulations of
> capital, and a significant division of labor are
> inevitable in a high-tech
> economy.

Mass production is inevitable for a highly populated, urban technological society.

But "capital" itself is a social relationship, something any communist society would have to do away with as a pre-condition.

The same applies to the "economy." The economy is exactly what we have to do away with.

I mean, I think I know what you mean to say, but I can't help being pedantic about terms like "capital" and "economy." I think anthropologizing social phenomenon that only exist with a society of generalized commodity production, and trying to project them backward and forward in time as human universals, is something we should avoid.

But I think you and Doug are both saying that a large-scale organization of human society presents logistical difficulties, which I don't disagree with.