[lbo-talk] Re-intro

Eric Beck rayrena at realtime.net
Tue Jul 18 11:44:26 PDT 2006

Doug Henwood wrote:

>A lot of anarchists/greens, and Michael Albert,
>don't like hierarchies of any kind. Many don't
>like representative structures - people like
>Murray Bookchin want no units so large that
>face-to-face meetings become impractical. I'm
>all for democratic management, but it's going to
>require the delegation of authority - i.e.,
>something like parliamentary and executive
>structures.

How do you know what's going to be required? This already dictates too much, for me. And there's a lot more to criticize representation for than just its impersonal or inauthentic character. Also, I'm not sure why democracy, or democratic processes, gets a free pass in these discussions, why it's assumed to be neutral, and especially why it always seems to be posited as the ultimate goal.

That said, antihierarchy as a principle is easily made a fetish that tolerates lots of other yucky stuff about capitalism. Out of laziness more than self-satisfaction (sure), I'm appending something I wrote about this somewhere else.