[lbo-talk] Re-intro

Tayssir John Gabbour tjg at pentaside.org
Wed Jul 19 02:14:39 PDT 2006

Eric Beck wrote:

> That said, antihierarchy as a principle is easily made a fetish that

> tolerates lots of other yucky stuff about capitalism.

Since you mention Michael Albert next in this post, you might like his claim that:

"Instead of being solely politically anti-authoritarian, as often in the old days, nowadays being an anarchist more and more implies having a gender, cultural, and an economic, as well as a politically-rooted orientation, with each aspect taken on a par with and also informing the rest. This is new, at least in my experience of anarchism, and it is useful to recall that many anarchists as little as a decade back, perhaps even more recently, would have said that anarchism addresses everything, yes, of course, but via an anti-authoritarian focus rather than by simultaneously elevating other concepts in their own right. Such past anarchists thought, whether implicitly or explicitly, that analysis from an overwhelmingly anti-authoritarian angle could explain the nuclear family better than an analysis rooted as well in kinship concepts, and could explain race or religion better than an analysis rooted as well in cultural concepts, and could explain production, consumption, and allocation better than an analysis rooted as well in economic concepts. They were wrong, and it is a great advance that many modern anarchists know this and are broadening their intellectual approach..." http://www.zmag.org/anarchism.htm

Tayssir