[lbo-talk] stupidest quote of the week from an American politician?

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 20 09:33:44 PDT 2006

Wojtek:

"People are by nature like sheep - they follow the flock and keep up with the Joneses. This, I believe, is the result of our evolutionary adaptation. We succeeded as a species mainly because we could act in sync with a group rather than individually - which means that those with a strong herd instinct had a better chance of survival. This means that people by nature need rituals that create and confirm their belonging to a group. Those rituals may take many forms - from an orgy, to religious celebration, to going to a football game or a rock concert, and to voting to this or that celebrity."

Briefly then, because we've walked up and down this path so many times before and, I'm preoccupied by thoughts of surface to surface missiles, arcing to their targets, falling and burning. From where, I wonder, will the strength come to stop them? What form will it take? (protest marching? return fire? the split atom's sundering kiss?).

You're too audacious sir, you over-reach. If we are primarily herd creatures, why am I listening to Fischerspooner, why are there computers, why spacecraft, why art why is there a human named Wojtek who apparently enjoys the freedom - outside of this hive mind - to analyze our herd state?

If what you say were true - or, as absolutely true as you seem to believe - only the gods would know what you claim to know.

.d.

--------- She loves penicillin...and compromise. She's going to go for it

...................... http://monroelab.net/blog/