[lbo-talk] Pakistan feels your grief, Musharraf tells Mumbai

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Fri Jul 21 07:26:59 PDT 2006

At around 21/7/06 1:04 am, Sujeet Bhatt wrote:
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/20/AR2006072000998.html
>
> ISLAMABAD (Reuters) - Pakistan's President Pervez Musharraf appealed
> to India on Thursday to avoid a "blame game" over last week's Mumbai
> bombings and called New Delhi's decision to delay peace talks a
> victory for terrorists.

I wonder if he has a point. Isn't what India is doing a tad similar to Israeli "withdrawal from negotiations" every time some suicide bombing or some such happens?

I guess there is this:

> Before the peace process began, India gave Pakistan a list of 20
> people wanted for terrorist crimes, but Pakistan never acted on the
> list.

I am surprised to see WaPo (MSM) making such a non-mushy statement as "Pakistan never acted" -- I thought the norm these days is to write "but India alleges that Pakistan never acted". Could we infer that WaPo's willingness to actually say it implies that it is beyond doubt that Pakistan never acted?

--ravi

-- Support something better than yourself: ;-) PeTA: http://www.peta.org/ GreenPeace: http://www.greenpeace.org/ If you have nothing better to do: http://platosbeard.org/