[lbo-talk] Buddhism revives in Mongolia's grasslands

uvj at vsnl.com uvj at vsnl.com
Fri Jul 21 08:12:07 PDT 2006

Chris Doss wrote:

> They're celebrating the 800th anniversary of Genghis
> Khan's something-or-other there by the way. Friggin'
> huge statues of Genghis going up everywhere. I've seen
> photos. Apparently the Chinese are quite pissed off
> about this.

I was surprised to read that "nearly half the 2.7 million population are nomadic herders" even today. Would you know how Mongolia retained its pastoral character despite decades of the Soviet influence? One would expect the Soviets to build huge dams, steel mills, tractor plants etc.How did Mongolia escape the achievements of the Soviet Five Years Plans? :)

Ulhas