All Hail the Great Genghis! was Re: [lbo-talk] Buddhism revives in Mongolia's grasslands

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 21 08:26:06 PDT 2006

--- uvj at vsnl.com wrote:

> I was surprised to read that "nearly half the 2.7
> million population are nomadic
> herders" even today. Would you know how Mongolia
> retained its pastoral character despite decades of
> the Soviet influence? One would expect the Soviets
> to build huge dams, steel mills, tractor plants
> etc.How did Mongolia escape the achievements of the
> Soviet Five Years Plans? :)
>
> Ulhas

I don't have a clue, unfortunately. I saw a TV documentary on the Soviet space program a few years ago, and they interviewed one former Mongolian cosmonaut. He is currently living in a hide-covered yurt.

The BBC has shots of the current celebrations of the 800th year since the founding of the Mongol Empire:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/5168702.stm

Lyubo, bratsy, lyubo, lyubo, bratsy, zhit!

ËÞÁÎ, ÁÐÀÒÖÛ, ËÞÁÎ, ËÞÁÎ, ÁÐÀÒÖÛ, ÆÈÒÜ!