[lbo-talk] Is this the new left?

info at pulpculture.org info at pulpculture.org
Fri Jul 21 14:25:30 PDT 2006

At 05:17 PM 7/21/2006, Max B. Sawicky wrote:

>I was reading some Noam recently. He thinks Marx made some important
>contributions in re: capitalism, but that dialectics, POMO (and a lot of the
>humanities in academia, for that matter) are balderdash. There's a grumpy
>old man cast to some of that criticism.
>
>Everyone here knows he's an anarchist, so there is no Stalinist/Leninist
>issue as far as he is concerned. What really sets the teeth of Berube and
>DeLong on edge is when Chomsky's critique of U.S. foreign policy, which in
>and of itself is often not too-too different from theirs, blurs (in their
>minds, at least) into softness on dictators deemed unfriendly by U.S.
>policy. It seems to me a relatively secondary matter to be such a source of
>friction.
>
>mbs

That's really interesting, because I see Dennis as exactly like this when he gets on Carrol's and Yoshie's case.

What gives Dennis? I'm not trying to be hostile because I think you're off the hook, but would you agree that you share this with Berube?

Much sadness that I saw that debate b/c I really do think MB thinks a lot of you, from reading his responses.

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org