[lbo-talk] Is this the new left?

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Sat Jul 22 10:27:43 PDT 2006

On 7/22/06, martin <mschiller at pobox.com> wrote:

> On Jul 22, 2006, at 8:10 AM, Jerry Monaco wrote:
>
> > because as Sartre used to say, "Stupidity is
> > a form of oppression."
>
> Oppression can take many other forms, many of which depend on
> knowledge. 'Stupidity' suggests simplicity.

Martin I don't want to be pedantic here but you seem to be missing something of the logic of the statement.

If x then y does not equal If y then x

Sartre's statement "Stupidity is a form of oppression." Reduces to

"If stupid then oppressed." This is probably not always true but I take the slogan for what it is, a new way of looking at stupidity.

But your criticism "Oppression can take many other forms, many of which depend on knowledge." implies that you have taken the statement to mean:

"If oppressed then stupid."

Which if you were taking the LSATs you would get very low marks for.

Please forgive me here but, if you mean something else, or simply had a synapses snap at the wrong time and would like to correct your statement I will refrain from further pedestrian pedantic uses of positives and contrapositives.

Jerry -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20060722/7b1a83a3/attachment.htm>