[lbo-talk] Jesse Lemisch on closing gas stations

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Jul 22 14:30:54 PDT 2006

[wonder if Chuck0 was involved?]

From: "Jesse Lemisch" <utopia1 at attglobal.net> Date: July 22, 2006 5:10:19 PM EDT Subject: foggy day in the new SDS

The exchange presented below took place on the new SDS list, where the closing down of gas stations by protesters during rush hour in Kansas City was presented as an anti-war action against "strategic targets related to the war machine." My satiric posting below was followed by exhortations directed to me to "drop dead," subject headings like "Fuck Jesse Lemisch T shirt," attacks on "nonsense," "fairy tales" and "reactionary" "professor," and commendations of those who organized the gas station action as "solid organizers." Some claimed that nobody could have predicted that a demonstration aimed at closing down gas stations in rush hour might piss people off. One wrote "The gas station demonstration was GREAT! Let's do a lot more of that sort of thing. [This] will increase our numbers and support greatly." Others explained that, like closing down gas stations at rush hour, the civil rights movement, draft resisters and the Free Speech Movement had also pissed people off.

There were a few who made more sense than this, and of course we never know how typical of an organization are those who post on its list. I continue to wish this organization well as it approaches its first national convention, at the University of Chicago. And I wish and work for the rebirth of a passionate, critical, utopian left, which treats Americans respectfully. But the hostile response to my below posting and, earlier, to my "Weather Underground Rises from the Ashes: They're Baack!" makes me pessimistic about SDS's openness to political disagreement.

Jesse Lemisch

============================================================ Lemisch posting on SDS list 7/22/06

My goodness, this reminds me of the glory days of the movement in the sixties, when some of us developed such extraordinary skills in pissing off so many people, rather than influencing them to support our goals. I hope people were wearing the new "Fuck Shit Up" SDS t- shirts.

This action pissed off various privileged groups: drivers, gas station owners and workers. Good: who needs them? It's particularly useful to infuriate drivers, who are a tiny privileged minority in this country, mainly white and brimming over with false consciousness. And it shut down "strategic targets related to the war machine." Huh? Let's bring back that old Weatherman slogan, "Fight the People"! (Another good t-shirt slogan, especially for actions like this one.)

"This energetic and innovative action was not only a success, it was exciting and unlike any action in Kansas City in recent history." Yeah, being exciting and being beaten up are good measures of success.

Or, is this posting an intentional parody?

Jesse Lemisch ----- Original Message ----- From: Kansas City SDS To: New Left Cafe - SDS Discussion List Sent: Friday, July 21, 2006 11:51 PM Subject: [New Left Cafe] KC Activists Take over Local Gas Stations

On Friday July 21 activists participating in a CodePink-initiated action (including local SDS members) took over three local gas stations during rush hour traffic to highlight the connection between oil consumption and American imperial policy in waging the war on the Iraqi people. Participants "shut down" the stations, telling customers the stations were closed for the day.

Fifteen participants, half on bicycle, travelled along Westport Road, stopping at three major gas stations. At each gas station, those on bicycle circled around, eventually stopping in front of the gas pumps, and placing pink "out of order" signs on them. Others passed out flyers explaining the need for the action. The speed and mobility granted by bicycle transportationa allowed the activists to stop at each station for a brief time, then moving on to the next station.

The action was highly successful in terms of providing information and shutting down strategic targets related to the war machine.

There was one arrest made as a result of the action. At the first gas station the contingent visited, an angry witness was attempting to strip an activist's megaphone away from her, assaulting her in the process. Another activist, who was quietly taking pictures of the attack. The person attacking the activist approached the camera- holder, in the process assaulting him as well and destroying his camera.

After the action was over, the person who had attacked two activists took the police to the first person he had attacked, having told them that she had assaulted him and not-as all parties present can attest- the other way around. She was placed in a police wagon and arrested on ironically-imposed assault charges. Hours later, she was released. It is important that we support this activist-attacked by an irate witness and then falsely-accused of having assaulted him-in her defense.

In addition, the police also briefly detained one activist who was urging others to leave once the police showed up at the third and final gas station, but allowed her to leave.

_______________________________________________ You are subscribed to the cafe mailing list http://lists.mutualaid.org/mailman/listinfo/cafe To change your subscription options, including switching to daily digests, visit the above page. To Unsubscribe from this or any mutualaid.org hosted mailing list, visit: http://lists.mutualaid.org/unsub.php